iOS 14 Release Date, Features, Pros and Cons – This week, a quiet significant change to iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 was made by Apple, allowing to set default email and browser apps to its users. By clicking on web links or email addresses in any app, the iPhone and iPad owners will be able to have them open in their favorite browser or email client. For photos, maps, music, messaging, calendars, and more, Apple will still force its users to use its own apps.
Due to the new, long-overdue changes coming to the iPhone in 2020, the release date of iOS 14 is coming soon. The final software cannot be downloaded until September 2020 this year.
An iOS 14 beta meant for developers can be downloaded today (but with a paid developer account) and the version to be launched in July is the public beta version. You may want to wait for the final version of the software until September as public betas of software can often be temperamental.
You’ll be able to upgrade to the next big software update if your iPhone is running iOS 13. You’ll get the update if your phone is the iPhone 6S (from 2015 or later).
iOS 14 can be downloaded in the devices listed below
- iPhone SE, iPhone 6S Plus, and iPhone 6S
- iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 7
- iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone 8
- iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XS
- iPhone 11 Pros, iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2020).
iOS 14 Features
- iOS 14 home screen widgets – Talking about the features, Widgets seems to be prominent in iOS 14. Widgets can come in three sizes and can be placed in a way (just like Windows Phone) in a clean grid and are designed very elegantly. In the vertical scrolling “Today” view, to the left of your main home screen, we’ve had widgets on iOS before. Through multiple widgets, that let you swipe, you can “stack” them in a clever way.
- iOS 14 App Library and interface – Within the iOS 14, there is a new feature called the App Library. This feature is to organize your apps in a better way without you having to do it, manually. For example, all your social apps shall appear in a single folder. All your Apple Arcade Games are included on the WWDC Livestream. All of this should work automatically. Plus, the apps that you don’t want on your home screen, those specific apps can be hidden.
- iOS 14 Siri – In a small banner of iPhone’s display, Phone calls and FaceTime / VoIP calls will show up, while a small animated Siri icon will show up at the bottom of the Screen while activating Siri.
A greater series of questions can be answered by Siri in iOS 14 with the help of the internet and audio messages can be sent by Siri.
- iOS 14 App Clips – The App clips feature, where users can take full advantage in tasks like renting a scooter, purchasing a coffee, restaurant reservation without the need of downloading the app.
- iOS 14 Messages – Important conversations can be pinned in the Messages App so that the message stays at the top. Also, with an image or an emoji, group chats can be customized.
Additional hairstyles, headwear, face coverings, and ages plus new Memoji stickers for a hug, fist bump, and blush are included in the new Memoji options. To better customize your character, 20 new hair and headwear styles for Memoji are included.
- iOS 14 Maps – Outlined during WWDC were a variety of new improvements, after a strange claim that the best way to explore the world is the Apple Maps. They can be considered like a travel book – where the Maps app can give the information directly. It’s a great option for cyclists, who can get to search for quieter roads or cycle lanes. However, only New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and some cities in China have this cycling feature options.
- iOS 14 picture-in-picture – Better picture-in-picture functionality is also a new update. Other Apps can be used, while watching a video at the same time, without the need to stop it.
- iOS 14 CarPlay – Digital keys through your iPhone shall enable you to unlock your car. This feature, at present, is for the 2021 BMW 5 Series, but in the future, it is set to come to other car models as well. The car companies will get excited by this feature.
- iOS 14 privacy – When it comes to privacy, a step further has been taken by iOS 14, that before the tracking, it should obtain permission from you. Rather, than your exact location, you can choose an approximate location.
- iOS 14 smart home controls – With smart home controls available in Control Center, more control over your smart home will be given by iOS 14. More automation suggestions will be given by the Home App.
iOS 14 Pros and Cons
- There will be several new types of customization options for selecting the toggles.
- Well-furnished and organized application library, just like standard Android, to improve ease of use.
- Widgets can expand your mobility in different ways and improve the overall UI experience.
- A huge update on battery performance like ASUS ROG, the AI-based charging system will charge your device according to a sleep routine and charge the battery continuously throughout the night.
- You can now set Chrome as the default browser.
- The battery runs out faster than ever, as many new settings and features run in the background.
- I still can’t set up my default Gmail for emails.
- Settle Widget on the screen may affect its classy format for some users.
- There are some bug issues on older devices, like – some apps take up to 30 seconds to start.